Mrs. Shelley O'Brien

Chief Marketing Officer,
Association for Women in Science

Contact Details

Association for Women in Science

Bio

I was introduced to association leadership in 2017 at the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants.

Prior to that, my career has spanned a variety of technology companies and many marketing disciplines including product marketing, channel marketing, executive positioning, public relations, demand generation, sales enablement, digital marketing and communications.

My favorite area is branding, messaging and competitive positioning. Whether marketing to decision makers in corporate IT, finance and HR; public accounting firms; institutions; government or individual association members -- building a value proposition is like putting puzzle pieces together to solving problems for the target audience.

I have worked in large companies (where half the battle was knowing who to go to for what) and small companies with agile environments (and limited budgets).

I recently joined AWIS as the Chief Marketing Officer. With our 50th anniversary approaching, I am excited to support our membership, chapters, and partners with stories, data, and tools to continue our mission of advancing women in science.

Job History

Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
Global Marketing, Group Sales and Channels
Durham, NC, United States
May 2017 - January 2020

AppSense (now iVanti)
Head of North America Field and Channel Marketing
Cary, NC, United States
February 2015 - October 2016

AT&T
Product Marketing, Channel Marketing, CBC, PR
Bedminster, NJ, United States

Hewlett-Packard (now Agilent Technologies)
Program Manager
Rockaway, NJ, United States